Car non runner within 21 days of purchase (BMW 1 Series)

Home Forums Buying a Car Car non runner within 21 days of purchase (BMW 1 Series)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 9 months ago.

• Author

Lorraine

Morning all! Hoping someone will be able to help…

I bought a car (BMW 1 Series Coupe, 2011-12, diesel) on the 13th January 2018 from a car dealer in Surrey. 21 days later, the car broke down on the motorway and I was told by Green Flag that the ‘engine had gone’. In fact, he said that the ‘turbo is leaking’. I then had a diagnostic test performed by my mechanic who also confirmed this and said it was a ‘bad Turbo leak’ and that the car was unsafe to drive.

I ed the car company the same day that I was being towed back to my address and from since then I have not found them to be very helpful. First they told me to take it to a VAT registered garage to have the diagnostic testing done (which was done) and then they said it had to be a BMW dealer instead – which I’ve also done.

BMW is quoting £5k to repair and also it’s likely that the car needs a new engine.

The dealer is now saying that they are not liable as I need to prove that the faults were there at the point of sale. Does anybody know whether it is likely that this issue was probably there when I bought the car? I find it hard to believe that within 21 days, I caused £5k+ worth of ‘damage’.

I paid £5k for a car that basically blew up in under 1 month. The most miles I had ever done in this car was approximately 300 :(

• #130029 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Lorraine. You are not outside the initial 30 days of ownership, so if you formally reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, it is up to the dealer to show that the car was not faulty at time of purchase.

For more information, have a read of our guide to rejecting a faulty car.

www.220km.com.ua

https://220km.com

www.investplan.com.ua/?op=1&z=5903&i=21