• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Does all heavy cars have worse responsiveness than small cars?

Home Forums Technical Discussions Does all heavy cars have worse responsiveness than small cars?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Niklas

Hey guys,
    I normally drive a small Seat Mii Ecomotive. It’s a small hatchback with 65 horsepower and a 1 liter engine. When I turn the steering wheel, the car responds instantly. When I turn the steering wheel in my father’s Volvo V70, it takes longer for the car to respond and you can actually move the steering wheel from left to right quickly without the car responding. I like cars with responsiveness because it feels right, it feels like I have more control of the car.

Is this a general issue for all heavy cars, or do more expensive cars do this better? My ultimate dream car is a Bentley Continental. Do you guys think the responsiveness is better in a car of that price range?

If not, any affordable heavy cars that do it better?

Thank you in advance! :)

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Niklas. It is usually a combination of the laws of physics (a larger, heavier car will be inherently less nimble and agile than a smaller, lighter car) and the way the car is set up by the manufacturer.

A Volvo V70 has very different priorities in its function than a SEAT Mii. It will be more comfortable on longer journeys and can carry a much larger load, and the way the steering and suspension are tuned will reflect that. A Bentley Continental GT is very heavy but does feel a lot sportier, which again reflects its priorities.

Editor, TheCarExpert.co.uk and

The forum ‘Technical Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

orca cooler review

www.best-cooler.reviews/best-soft-sided-cooler-guide/