• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Mini One, 05. Engine warning light on and now off. Need checking?

Home Forums Technical Discussions Mini One, 05. Engine warning light on and now off. Need checking?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author
    Ella Hughes

I have a Mini One, 2005, 1.6l.

This morning whilst driving an orange check engine light came on. After 30 seconds of solidly being on it began flashing. Car was struggling. Pulled over but had to go up a slight hill which it barely made.

By this point it was juddering. Pulled over and switched car off.

Called the RAC. Whilst waiting I was intermittently turning car on and off to see how it responded. Light remained on and juddering continued, even when no acceleration was added.

RAC man said probably a coil needed replacing. He didn’t have one with him so towed the car home.

This evening I have gone to the car and started it up. The light did not come on. I have driven it around the block, no light. Driven it up a hill at 30, on the flat at 40 and no light or juddering has appeared.

Any suggestions as to what to do next? It now seems to have returned to its normal state. Does it need urgently looking at?

Thanks

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Ella. It could well be an ignition coil, and there’s a good chance that the problem will return sooner or later (probably sooner).

I’d suggest booking it in for an inspection at your earliest convenience. Trying to drive the car if the juddering and misfiring returns will also ultimately damage your engine.

Editor, TheCarExpert.co.uk and

The forum ‘Technical Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.