• Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Options after paying deposit.

Home Forums Buying a Car Options after paying deposit.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    – none –

So first off, yes, I know that “I” have made an error.

Visited a car dealer, test drove and liked the vehicle.
    When I asked for service history (vehicle is 2008), there was none, none at all.
    Dealer made out that it was no big deal, the car was in good order, they would service & MOT it, and that I was worrying about nothing.
    I know that a service history DOES matter as it assures me that the car has been looked after etc etc , and annoyed at them trying to tell me otherwise.
    Still, it was a nice car, and I just signed anyway, paid deposit.

Less than an hour later a friend pointed out the timing belt issue.
    Checking on the manufacturers website, the belt change is due after 5 years or 72k, and the vehicle in question is 7 years old @ 60k miles.

There being no service history, I cannot tell if this the belt was changed or not.

So, I feel that I have already signed and so there is nothing I can do.
    If I take the car, I will have to get the job done, as I cannot risk running the car with an old belt.

Hence I am here, asking if there is indeed any leg for me to stand on here ?
    Does the fact that they told me I had nothing to worry about count a as a misell ? They are experts and surely should know about the timing belt issue .. and keeping quiet about it is surely a bad thing !?

Or do I just have to accept I’ve been ignorant and take the hit ?

Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

• #65682 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

In a nutshell, you’ll probably lose your deposit when you cancel.

Yes, a service history is important (at the very least, a recent service history. The car is seven years old, and the records from the first couple of years are not that important; but those from the last couple of years are very important).

You could insist that they change the timing belt before you will go ahead with the purchase, but it doesn’t sound like they are the sort of crowd who will cheerfully spend hundreds on a job like that to keep the sale.

Editor, TheCarExpert.co.uk and

https://bestseller.reviews