• Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

refund on a car deposit?

Home Forums Buying a Car refund on a car deposit?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 9 months ago.

• Author
    Suzanne

Hi,
    About two weeks ago I put a £200 deposit on a Toyota Yaris. It was advertised as being sold with a new M.O.T. I looked at the car on the Tuesday, and said I was happy to purchase it, and would like to collect it on Thursday.

They told me they would have it M.O.T’D and ready for then. I was using a hire car as mine had been ‘written off’ by the insurance company, so I needed the car on Thursday.

They phoned me Wednesday, to say the Yaris had failed the M.O.T, but they would endeavour to have it ready for collection on Thursday. Thursday afternoon I phoned to ask if I could collect the car, they said they had problems getting a mechanic, and it wouldn’t be ready until Friday now. So I hired another car at my expense for 24 hours.

I phoned again Friday at 4pm and they said the car still wasn’t ready, but hopefully by 1st thing Saturday. It wasn’t ready then either, so at 1 pm, I phoned them to cancel the purchase, as i needed a car for work on Monday.

I am now trying to have a refund for my deposit, which they seem to be reluctant to give me. Could you let me know where I stand with this case?

• #137873 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Suzanne. As annoying as it is, they probably don’t have to refund your deposit or even accept your cancellation.

Unless you had a clause written onto the contract that specified the car must be delivered by a certain date, the standard T&Cs of the sales agreement will apply – and that usually gives a dealer 28 days leeway from the original date advised.

Editor, TheCarExpert.co.uk and

видеокарты джифорс